Thursday 25 April 2013

#41 - Tiger Tiger Tikka Masala Flavour Instant Noodles


  • Brand: Tiger Tiger
  • Flavour: Tikka Masala Flavour
  • Cost: £0.62
  • From: Tesco
  • Description: N/A
  • Weight: 100g (400g when hydrated)
  • Allergies: Contains Wheat, Soya Bean; May Contain Milk, Nuts, Celery, Mustard, Sesame

    Look at that stunning beige colour         Look at that stunning beige colour
So here's another packet product, this time from Tiger Tiger who have all sorts of interesting things on the front of the packet, "Unleash the Taste" and "Traveller's Choice". All this with the picture of the Taj Mahal and emblazoned with Indian Tikka Masala you think you're going to be for a treat, well let's see.

First thing I find out is that Tiger Tiger is an importer that scours the Asian continent and develops recipes for their 164 products. Apparently they started by importing to Indian restaurants in the UK which they claim as some kind of seal of approval. Now I've had some great curries (I've lived near to both Rusholme and Bradford) but I've also had some pretty awful ones and I couldn't tell you which Tiger Tiger imported to.

Packaging is recyclable, well external packaging is, I can't attest to the internal packaging as there is no reference to its composition anywhere to be found. Preparation is easy, boil 300ml of water, add everything, turn the heat down and stir and simmer til it's all absorbed.

“How do they taste?” The answer is bland. Looking at the ingredients they really shouldn't be but they are. You get a spicy hit from them but there's no real discernible flavour that I can pick out.

“Do they remind me in any way of a traditional tikka masala?” The answer is no. Tikka masala is a creamy dish created by Indian restaurants in the UK to fit the UK palette. It's got a variety of spices that come together to form a beautiful marriage of flavours that go remarkably well with chicken. If you put chicken with this it would just taste of chicken.

“How do I feel now I’ve finished it?” The answer is disappointed. There was so much promise from the packaging, they're produced in Asia - I thought we were in for a taste sensation, we weren't. I suppose I'm a bit full but my stomach isn't reacting overly well *BURRRRRP*

Conclusion – All that glistens is not gold

Need 4 Noodle Rating: 2.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment