Wednesday 13 February 2013

#17 - Beef & Tomato Pot Noodle


  • Brand: Pot Noodle
  • Flavour: Beef & Tomato
  • Cost: £1.00
  • From: Tesco
  • Description: Noodles in a Beef and Tomato flavour sauce with vegetables and a little sachet of tomato sauce.
  • Weight: 90g (305g when prepared)
  • Allergies: None listed

    One of the oldies, still a goodie                                                                        One of the oldies, still a goodie
I think this was probably my first ever instant noodle product which I would probably have eaten around 1985 - #ohmygodiamold. Back then they looked huge and could probably fill me up for a week, these days they look about normal size and their only purpose to is to fill me up until dinner.

As usual the vast majority of the packing is recyclable which I think is great. There isn't much more to say apart from this is my 2nd beef and tomato flavour this week (after the Tesco Everyday Value I had on Monday) and I have a third waiting for me in the cupboard.

“How do they taste?” The answer is good. They're a lovely warming mouthful of a bit of sweet, a bit of umami, and all noodley goodness. I particularly like the peas and pieces of tomato floating around as they add a great bit of texture and little taste explosions when you sink your teeth in to them.

“Do they remind me in any way of a beef and tomato dish?”  The answer is no, no, no, no, NO! There is a taste of tomato, of course there is though as there's tomato all the way through it. There's 8% actual tomato in the pot and there's tomato sauce, which contains tomato paste, in the sachet. There is no beef anywhere - I'm not going to go on about it, I'm just going to stop this paragraph.

“How do I feel now I’ve finished it?” The answer is not bad at all. It's a good flavour, the consistency is great and I'm ready to go at the afternoon.

Conclusion – A joy to prepare, to eat and to recycle. I really just wish the manufacturers would stop picking a random protein and telling us their product tastes of it when it doesn't. Another plus for me is that you recognise nearly everything in the ingredients except for a couple of flavour enhancers, MSG & disodium 5'ribonucleotides - check the glossary for a breakdown of some of the not-so-delicious-sounding common ingredients in our processed foods.

Need 4 Noodle Rating: 7/10

2 comments:

  1. [...] Pot Noodle when instant noodles first hit our shores back in 1978. Earlier this week I reviewed the Beef & Tomato Pot Noodle and it scored a very respectable 7/10, these have a lot to live up [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like them, they're nice early in the day when you're not quite ready for a spicy flavour. The standard size pots aren't very filling however though, it always feels less satiating than the same size in Bombay bad boy or chicken and mushroom. Mild curry one is like that too.

    ReplyDelete